Here you can find out everything you need to know about the best way to go from Stansted airport to London. See our comparison of private transfers, trains, buses and cabs, including money-saving tips!
Stansted Airport is the third-largest airport in London after Heathrow and Gatwick. It’s also one of the fastest growing airports in the whole of Europe. Continue reading to find out the best, fastest and cheapest way of getting to Central London from Stansted Airport.
We’re often asked how to get to London from Stansted. The four most popular options are listed below together with all the relevant information. Click here to access all the facts about your preferred London Stansted transfer:
London Stansted Airport is situated about 34 miles north-east of London. This airport is mainly served by the budget airline Ryanair, which flies to over 100 destinations from here. If you need help with finding your bearings, take a look at the map of all terminals.
London Stansted Airport
- Private transfers definitely need to be booked in advance. You’ll be taken directly to the place where you’re staying. This is the most convenient way of traveling and costs much less than we expected.
- The train is more expensive than the bus, but avoids the traffic jams. The Stansted Express stops at three stations in London.
- Traveling by bus is a cheap way of getting from Stansted to London. However, it’s important to bear in mind – especially on the return journey – that the speed at which the buses travel is heavily dependent on the amount of traffic in and around London. It’s therefore a good idea to take an earlier bus if you want to be sure of catching your flight.
- Taking a cab is one of the most expensive options. You should definitely agree on a fixed price with the driver before getting in.
The Stansted Express to London
- Price: starting at £17 (approx. 20 €)
- Journey time: approx. 47 minutes
The train journey from Stansted to London is fast and convenient. The Stansted Express is the fastest way of getting from Stansted to Central London. It takes around 47 minutes to reach Liverpool Street Station. The express train stops en route at Tottenham Hale subway station. Trains from the airport to Central London run from 5:30 a.m. to 0:30 a.m. Trains from London to the airport run from 4.10 a.m. to 11.25 p.m.
The Stansted Express runs every 15 minutes during the day, but a little less often in the morning and at night. A one-way ticket costs around £17 (approx. 20 €), depending on how long in advance you book. If you’re flying home from Stansted Airport as well, it’s best to book a two-way train ticket. This costs a total of £29 (approx. 33 €), which will save you a few pounds. The Stansted Express to Liverpool Street is twice as fast as a cab and four times cheaper!
Below is an overview of all the stations en route:
Stansted - Liverpool Street
Stansted - Tottenham Hale
Stansted - Stratford
approx. 45 minutes
approx. 35 minutes
approx. 60 minutes
Every 15 minutes
Every 15/30 minutes
Every 30 minutes
* Kids between the ages of 5 and 15 are classed as children. Kids under the age of 5 travel free.
Buy your ticket online in advance and save yourself a long wait at the airport.
Bus transfer from Stansted to London
- Price: starting at £15 (approx. 18 €)
- Journey time: approx. 75 minutes
One of the cheapest ways of getting to London is to take the bus. I would recommend the National Express service. At peak times, buses run every 20 minutes. The journey takes around 75 minutes, depending on the traffic. Buses run up to 100 times per day in both directions and take the following routes:
- A6 to Paddington Station via Baker Street
- A7 to Victoria Coach Station via Southwark, Waterloo, Victoria Rail Station
- A8 to Liverpool Street Station via Whitechapel
- A9 to Stratford Station
Baker Street and Victoria
Stratforf and Liverpool Street
approx. 120 minutes
approx. 85 minutes
approx. 75 minutes
Every 30 minutes
Every 30/60 minutes
Every 30 minutes
If you buy bus tickets online in advance, you’ll save yourself a long wait at the ticket counter. The lines can be quite long, especially when several planes land in close succession.
Private transfer from Stansted to London – low-price travel with added comfort
Did you know that you can book a car transfer online in advance and that this is a reliable, fast and even low-cost way of getting to your hotel? Private transfers are becoming increasingly popular for obvious reasons:
- Bookable in advance
- No waiting
- Fixed price
- Transfer to overnight accommodation/hotel
- Door-to-door service – no need to hump heavy bags around
We’ve taken a look at a number of London to Stansted transfers on your behalf.
1. The bargain shuttle
This shuttle service takes you from Stansted to Central London and the Docklands for as little as £13 (approx. 15 €). The service is available 24/7. If you want to take advantage of this super price, you’ll have to share the vehicle with up to 8 other passengers. The driver will meet you in the arrivals hall at the agreed time. This transfer has received very positive reviews from satisfied customers.
2. Shared door-to-door transfer
In this case, a professional chauffeur picks you up at the airport at the agreed time for an unbeatable price. The door-to-door service costs as little as £21 (approx. 25 €) and covers virtually all areas of London. For further details of the precise destinations, see our overview. If you wish, you can also book the return transfer from the hotel to the airport at the same time.
3. Round-trip transfer Two-way journey with private chauffeur
A chauffeur will pick you up at Stansted Airport and drive you to your accommodation. He/she will track your flight arrival time and take any delays into account. At the end of your trip to London, the chauffeur will drive you back to the airport. This means you can enjoy your stay in London without having to worry about how you’re going to get to and from the airport. However, luxury comes at a price: the two-way journey will set you back £170. It’s best to book this transfer online in advance.
Want to feel like royalty while you’re in London? If so, I can recommend a luxury ride with the wow factor:
4. Transfer from Stansted to London by luxury car
Enjoy a comfortable private transfer from Stansted Airport to Central London by luxury car. Your private multilingual driver will be waiting for you in the arrivals hall and give you a warm welcome. The transfer costs £67 (approx. 79 €) per person for groups of up to 4 persons. This transfer should definitely be booked online in advance.
From Stansted Airport to London by cab
- Price: starting at £50 (approx. 58 €)
- Journey time: approx. 75 minutes
Taking a cab is probably one of the most convenient ways of getting to Central London, especially if you’re carrying a lot of luggage. However, a cab ride to Central London can cost anything up to £50 (approx. 58 €). The cab drivers use taximeters, but don’t be put off by this. It’s best to negotiate a fixed price with the driver before getting in. Otherwise, the journey can turn out very expensive, depending on the traffic situation. If you negotiate a fixed price, you’ll know what to expect and can sit back and enjoy the journey.
Don’t be conned into taking a “cheap” cab at the airport. Caution should be exercised here, as you’re likely to pay far more than you would for a licensed cab.